Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us… And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

- Marianne Williamson

At its essence, the Contemplative Counseling Psychology program, from which I received my most recent Master's degree is designed to foster extraordinary mindfulness in relationship.  The root teachings of the program instill a deep knowing that brilliant sanity is inherent within each of us and that in seeing it clearly, experiencing it repeatedly through mindfulness meditation, and also experiencing the habitual confusion that obscures it, one can develop the ability to see it within others, reflect it in interpersonal interactions, and guide them towards recognition of their own inherent wakefulness.  To teach this to students requires not only the comprehension of knowledge—a fierce intellect—but also an embodiment of these teachings.  This is what I offer. These teachings have become an integral part of who I am and how I work. I am deeply committed to Contemplative Education and am a firm believer that this takes place not only in the classroom, but in every interaction that we have with students and with our colleagues.  On a daily basis, I work to embody the values of fierce compassion, kindness, playfulness, maitri, and to model how to live from a place of authenticity and integrity.

At the center of my teaching philosophy is the cultivation of radical authenticity and love. As Marianne Williamson wrote above, I believe that by modeling the courage of vulnerability, I assist students in uncovering and sharing their inherent brilliance.  This is only possible in a spirit of mutual uncovering. Through Contemplative Education, I journey with students to our inner edges—to the barriers, as Rumi says, that we have built against our experience of unconditional warmth, awareness, spaciousness, and connection.  It is often said in recovery communities, “let us love you until you can love yourself” and that is what I aim to do with students.  Through my unapologetic humanness, and the self-compassion that I embody, I love my students in such a way that they are able to contact their own humanness, become less apologetic about it, and grow their capacity for love and self-compassion. One of my most recent students offered this description of me, “There are very few people in this world who have the ability to uncover themselves, be real with themselves, be totally cool with sitting in the uncomfortableness of it all, and also still be centered while allowing tears…you [teach] from an empowered, embodied place.” In addition, I believe love to be relentless in its pedagogy— and so is my teaching— it is as insistent on clarity, boundary, and integrity as it is warm, spacious, and kind.

This way of being with others is not possible without maintaining consistent contemplative practices such as sitting meditation, yoga, and contemplative relational practices such as psychotherapy and group process.  To me, teaching is one of the most vigorous and rewarding of my contemplative practices as it requires vigilant mindfulness, discriminating awareness, compassion, and a willingness to be always on the spot—there is no escape from one’s personality, impact, and feedback.

With over 14 years’ post-secondary teaching and administrative experience, I am developing expertise in creating and assessing interdisciplinary curriculum that infuses psychology with the study of creativity and play, social justice advocacy, creative-critical modes of inquiry and expression, the Hakomi view of developmental psychology and character structure, and a burgeoning interest in studies of intimacy. I am excited to continue my research in these areas and to share my research in relevant academic journals.  

Administratively, I have held numerous positions in higher education, all of which have required excellent written and oral communication, collaboration with varied personalities and working styles, a high level of attention to detail, strengths-and-appreciation-based leadership skills, and most importantly, patience and playfulness.  As an undergraduate academic advisor of Contemplative Psychology and Peace Studies students, the students I mentor expect me to model the value of a contemplative education and the fruition of contemplative practice.  In my 2014 annual performance review, an anonymous colleague stated, “Regina is a very component and knowledge advisor. She cares deeply about contemplative education, contemplative practice, and supporting students' academic journeys. She is a real team player, while remaining an independent thinker. Regina takes a best practice approach to solving problems, and yet is also willing to listen to the specific needs of a situation. Generally speaking, Regina brings an upbeat, positive, and playful attitude to the office. She has a great sense of humor and is a delight to work with!”