Writing from Missoula, Montana this 2nd day of January, 2016. Yep. It's over. I officially withdrew from Naropa in December and won't be back. I'm relieved and sad, all at once. I easily found safe, affordable housing here and may see if I can finish some sort of degree at the University of Montana. I gained a great deal in my years at Naropa - declining health, crashed career, and debt for the rest of my life. Some of the classes were wonderful, and I'll be sharing here in the next months as I continue to integrate my experiences and recreate my life up here in the frozen tundra. Stay tuned...

It could be that my Naropa journey is over, short of just three semesters remaining in my Peace Studies degree. I've spent the last year being homeless (AGAIN) in Boulder County, and I can't do it anymore. There's no way I can do well in school while living without a home. The extreme greed on the part of landowners was constantly upsetting to me, as I have been an advocate and activist for the homeless and marginalized for many years. I have experienced cycles of homelessness most of my life, due to chronic health conditions. I'm hoping for another leave of absence for Fall, 2015, but I don't see a way to solve the housing issue, so I don't know how I can continue at this point. I believe we have the recreational marijuana industry to thank for the influx of people, and the floods of September, 2013 contributed to the situation, as well. One would hope that when there is a natural disaster and people lose their homes, there would be an upswell of support from the community. What we saw instead was a $200 - $300 increase in rents, and a jump in application and pet fees, as well as upfront costs of deposit and first AND last month's rents.

I require housing that supports my health, and after looking at over 100 properties (many of them with mold issues) I have given up. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. I need SAFE, AFFORDABLE housing, and that just doesn't seem to be realistic anywhere in Colorado anymore.

Starting my Second Year, Fall, 2012

I'm a Peace Studies major and hope to also do a minor in Media. Then on to a Master's in Environmental Leadership, if I'm not dead by then! This has not been easy.