Pedagogy

I plan on returning to my undergraduate university, Kansas Wesleyan University, and conduct a “physical theatre workshop” as well as ensemble building. I foresee this being a one to two day workshop of four to six hours a day with young adult college theatre students. Half the workshop will be spent on somatic movement and experiential exploration, and half on Viewpoints based group improvisation. Tools from somatics, Roy Hart voice work, Viewpoints, and applied theatre will be used to introduce these college students to physical theatre and the methodologies of post-modern theatre. The first thirty minutes will be a summary of what is going to happen as well as sociometry and applied theatre games. This will be then followed by a somatic based warm-up as well as a short explanation of experiential anatomy and the ability to create from the self. We would then move to voice exploration and then into a led viewpoints exploration.  The focus of my teaching would be on introducing young artists to the inherent possibilities and creativity found in oneself. The tentative dates are either the beginning of January or mid-April. This would also change with the information from the school and the need of the students.

If a two day workshop is possible, I hope to work with a partner (briefly spoken with Bobbi, but no cemented work) in which my teaching and process would be the focus one day, with the partner assisting and recording the process, and switching roles the second day. I would discuss a syllabus and intention of the workshop with a faculty member, namely Joan, as my thesis advisor. I hope to use this experience as an exploration as to what exactly I want to teach and pursue. This will be formed as a taster into many little things in a short period of time, allowing me to teach a little bit of everything and start to isolate some of the things I would like to focus on in my future teaching endeavors.  I would have trusted former teachers and colleagues observe my teaching. As well as have the participants fill out a survey and have an open discussion at the end of the workshop. This will also include a self-assessment.