Katie Jones Evaluation- The Last Supper

Discuss any instances of Naropa MFACP training visibly integrated by Ben in the creation of your piece. In the performance of your piece.

Moment Work – Ben was a huge part of the moment work process for my piece, specifically in editing existing moments. He is also very detail oriented, and often noticed things that I had missed, which certainly helped to improve the piece.

Viewpoints – Ben also really helped me to craft scenes spatially, and offered suggestions about blocking that contributed not only to the look of the piece, but also the content.

Somatics – I had a specific scene involving my inflatable fat suit, and Ben helped me, directorially, by reminding me to ground my feet and to feel my body during this scene (which I had struggled with consistently). Ben was also very present and engaged onstage, even when he wasn’t speaking, and I think this is largely because of the work he was doing with his body, while performing.

How did Ben work within your aesthetic as a creator and performer?

Ben was very good about offering suggestions, and also understanding when things needed to change. Ben also has a good understanding of my particular sense of humor and was a great partner in the creation of this piece, partially for that reason. He was also willing to really connect with me, as a scene partner, which gave our relationship emotional depth that could be perceived by the audience. Ben is also very physically adept, and so he could do neat things like slide under ladders! Additionally, Ben very much supported me in the creation of light and sound looks for the show, and has a very good sense of timing and placement for these technical elements.

As the director/creator of your piece, please speak about Ben as a performer and his strengths and weaknesses in this area.

Ben’s performance strengths – movement, presence, gaze, partner work, holding the ensemble

Ben’s performance weaknesses – voice (Ben spoke very well during my piece, at times, and mostly he just needs more confidence in this area.)

Please discuss any other assessments in regards to Ben’s work as a co-creator and performer in your thesis performance.

Ben was a great co-creator for this piece – he was invested, prepared, and patient. His temperament, work ethic, skill and honesty make him an excellent collaborator, and I can only hope for more opportunities to work with him in the future.

Bobbi Kupfner Evaluation- A Woman's Will

The only visible training I think I could name is Somatic meditation in the way Ben was able to lie still and quiet for the full 18 minutes of the piece without having to move, even in an uncomfortable position and while I moved his body around and sat and lied down on him.

Ben helped feed my vision of The Man within my piece, an integral image that was present since the inception of my piece, a man lying in a clawfoot tub as a woman spoke to him. As a performer, having his body to interact with helped bring my performance level up, and gave more ground to my piece. 

As a performer Ben is easily directed and flexible within forms. He is very collaborative and willing to offer suggestions and criticism as asked. 

My only weakness that I could see is that in his preciousness of time, which is a value that is to be admired, in some creative processes that needs time and flexibility within it, he can become difficult to work with because of it. Nothing unmanageable but somewhat limiting as a creator who might need a flexibility in that area.

Nothing bad to say. Ben is a giving and wonderful collaborator who is generous and helpful. He is ideal for those looking for a collaborator who is willing to go the distance.

Stephen Geering Evaluation- 7/20 Project

The vast majority of what we created focused on Moment Work. Ben has a clear proficiency with these techniques. While there were times that he created his own moments, often his best work came through the reworking or editing of other moments. These reworks took the original intent behind the moments, and brought them into a much sharper focus.

Ben urged me early on to create an organizing principle. Because of this, the entire tone and scope of the show began to form. Ben created the audio recordings used in the show. Originally, these were going to be spoken on stage, but the recordings worked so much better for the actual scope of the show. Every creative act performed by Ben served to better my vision of what the show could be.

Ben has an amazing mind for organizing and problem solving. He is an especially hard worker, even when presented with tasks that he doesn’t particularly care for. This makes him an indispensable member of the cast.

As far as weaknesses go, Ben has a reluctance for volume. Sometimes it takes extra effort to get him to project. Additionally, Ben has a very loaded schedule, which often reduces the time outside of rehearsal to work on the piece. However, he makes up for this by working extra hard in rehearsals.

Ben holds the artistic space in a very professional manner, which is energizing for his fellow cast members. I genuinely enjoy working with Ben. He is a fantastic collaborator.