Thesis Description

This is an exploration into presence and art as experience. I am using the forms of math, namely the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden Ratio or Phi, and John Dewey’s philosophy of Art as Experience to create an installation that provides the viewer/doer (my term for a viewer participant) with experiences in “The Golden Black Box.” The final product is an installation with no “performance” involvement on my part. It is a stand-alone art piece with the viewer/doer at the center. The piece will take part in 9195 for the WIPS in a completely contained, roughly 14 feet wide, 22 feet long, and 8 feet high, black box. The technical aspects of rigging this out will be established as part of the work with extreme presence in the work and creation.

For the WIP, the container will be filled with 180 red envelopes, also in a golden ratio of 3.5 inches wide by 5.663 inches long. They will be hung from the ceiling with white twine in a constant rotation out, in what is called the Golden Spiral. In each envelope is an “experience”. What I consider an experience is still being explored. I do not believe I will find an answer to this and this is just a step towards a stronger theory.  

This is not the end of this project, but my perfect vision for it is much bigger and requiring more time and effort than I am able to right now, and I hope to continue a more finished product in the next five years. I believe the ideal project is a large completely built stand alone building that will eventually contain 1800 possible experiences in separate envelopes hung from the ceiling in a golden spiral for the viewer/doer to take part or not. I see this as a long-term exploration (lifetime, ten year, two year, or never to be touch again.)  

As a performer I am working with the idea of extreme presence and focus on the task as it is being done. A skill that is extremely applicable to a more traditional performance. The questions of “What is performance?” and “What is experience?” are at the center of this exploration.