WELCOME TO OUR ALT BREAK PORTFOLIO!
We are very happy you are here :) On these pages, we have compiled our collective experience of our 6-day trip to Pine Ridge Reservation.
- Curious what we did at Pine Ridge? We've got a day-to-day journal for you.
- Want to see some pictures? Head over to our gallery.
- The Alternative Spring Break experience has had a lasting impact on us. Read some of our reflections after returning home from Pine Ridge.
- This trip would not have been possible without our amazing partner organization Tipi Raisers and their founder Dave. Learn more about Tipi Raisers here.
- Questions about Naropa's Altnerative Spring Break program? Want to participate next year? Learn what more about Naropa's service learning program and class.
A FEW WORDS OF CAUTION
Even though we have done our best, we could not possible paint a comprehensive, accurate, and representative picture of Pine Ridge. During our very short stay, we only met and interacted with about a dozen people. The total population of Pine Ridge is almost 30,000¹.
Secondly, while this e-portfolio is a group project, most paragraphs or sections were written by individuals. These texts represent the individual's perception and experience of Pine Ridge and do not always reflect the experience of soemone else. In fact, two experiences of the same situation may be completely the opposite of each other.
Lastly, the majority of people around the world - most of us included - has so little knowledge about Indigenous People that a very few perspectives and stories - like we share on this e-portfolio - end up majorly shaping their opinions and perceptions. As you are reading about our Alternative Spring Break, please try to remind yourself often that what we are sharing is specific to the people we met. We cannot really speak about the Lakota as a whole and we can speak even less to Native Americans in general.